janus3D is an open source MATLAB toolbox for the purpose of EEG electrode determination and co-registration of 3D head models with individual structural MR images. It features smart selection and automatic texture-based EEG electrode detection, providing highly accurate EEG sensor positions for source reconstruction analyses. It makes use of GUI-based functions allowing the user to obtain sensor positions fast and comfortable. To enhance the actual 3D reconstruction process a tool for automatic background selection and mask creation is included. Electrode cap templates of EEG cap systems that are not included can be created using the implemented ’Template Builder’. This tool allows the creation of individual cap templates that are used for automatic labeling of the EEG electrode positions. janus3D requires MATLAB 2015a (MathWorks), including Image Processing Toolbox (MathWorks), Computer Vision System Toolbox (MathWorks), and Fieltrip Toolbox (Oostenveld, Fries, Maris, & Schoffelen, 2011).
To install janus3D add the janus3D folder containing all functions to your MATLAB search path.
1) start the program by typing 'j3d', 'janus' or 'janus3D' into your MATLAB command line.
2) load .obj and .nifti files
3) rotate the model into MRI space
4) select facial parts of the model
5) select facial parts of the MRI
6) register model to MRI
7) correct registration if necessary
8) select electrodes either manually...
9) or automatically by defining a template electrode
10) get electrode labels automatically based on a previously set template
11) plot final results
More detailed information on how to use janus3D, can be found in the janus3D users manual.